A report by the officials on this Friday said that a total of 11 United States troops in Iraq were flown for their evaluation in medical centers due to symptoms of concussion in the days after the Iran’s missile strike, even though President of the United States, Donald Trump said that the strike had caused no harm to the US Troops that were deployed in Iraq.
Jonathan Hoffman, chief spokesman of The Pentagon, said that Mark Esper, the Defense Secretary had no idea about the injuries until this Thursday afternoon, when he was told that 11 US troops in total have been sent to U.S. medical facilities for their evaluation. 8 of these troops are in Germany and 3 in Kuwait.
Hoffman also said that there was no need of notifying to Pentagon about the service member casualties unless the loss involved the loss of limb, eyesight or life.
Just this Tuesday night, Donald Trump told the press in a statement that no American troops had been harmed in any way in the recent Iranian missile strike that happened on the 8th of this year’s January.
The question of the American casualties is significant as the outcome of the missile attack was considerably influence the United States decision of whether to risk a broader war with the state of Iran or to retaliate.
US decided not to retaliate, and due to this the tensions between the two states have somewhat eased. Shah Mahmood Qureshi, Pakistani Foreign Minister who was in Washington this Friday to meet with Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State, told the reporters that the Iranian leaders, when he met them in Tehran earlier this week told him that the missile attack by Iran was sufficient in terms of retaliation for the United States killing of their leader of the Revolutionary Guard Corps’ Force Gen. Qassem Soleimani.